Advertisement

AP Newswire

Stateside World Business Stocks Technology Sports Weather
Entertainment Multimedia Health Science Politics Travel Offbeat
Aug 30, 2:41 AM EDT

Afghan official says forces retake district from Taliban


Buy AP Photo Reprints
Latest News
Afghan official says forces retake district from Taliban

NATO says 3 foreigners among 10 killed by Afghan car bomb

Afghan ties with Pakistan sour as Taliban gain strength

Afghan police: German national kidnapped in Kabul

Multimedia
US troops spending Christmas

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- An Afghan official says government forces have regained control of a strategic district in southern Helmand province that the Taliban had seized.

Omar Zwak, a spokesman for the governor of Helmand province, said Sunday that Afghan forces launched an operation on Friday to retake the district of Musa Qala. Zwak says the fighting killed six soldiers and wounded 14.

Taliban insurgents overran Musa Qala on Wednesday after a week of attacks targeting security forces there.

NATO said it conducted at least 13 airstrikes on Taliban positions in the district last week to aid Afghan forces.

Helmand, the source of most of the heroin produced in Afghanistan, is the Taliban heartland and the scene of heavy fighting since the warm weather fighting season began in April.

© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Advertisement

 

 

Advertisement
Advertisement